Smile has updated PDFpen and PDFpenPro to version 6.0.2, dramatically reducing memory usage and adding an option to turn off Auto Save and Versions (found in the General pane of PDFpen’s preferences). The update brings several requested form-related changes, including improved tab ordering with automatic form creation, setting a multi-line property when automatically creating tall form fields, reverting to the default font when automatically creating form fields, and fixes for unspecified issues when saving PDF forms. Additionally, both editions fix issues with applying foreground, background, and stroke colors, and ensure that document permissions are respected when inserting page numbers. As of this writing, neither PDFpen nor PDFpenPro have been updated to version 6.0.2 in the Mac App Store. Upgrades from a previous major version of PDFpen or PDFpenPro cost $30 via Smile, but are free to those who purchased on or after 15 October 2012. If you want to upgrade to PDFpenPro from a previous version of PDFpen, the price is $40. ($59.95/$99.95 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update from version 6.0, 49.4/50.2 MB)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software