Responding to user requests, Webin has added Feedly support to version 2.2 of its ReadKit RSS reader and bookmarking app (recently reviewed by Josh Centers in “ReadKit for Mac Is Almost the Perfect Reading App,” 8 July 2013). The update adds keyboard shortcuts for navigating, clearing read items from a list, and more. It also includes a number of fixes, including for problems that occurred when synchronizing feeds, handling of Control-clicking on sidebar items, importing OPML files from various sources (and when running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion), processing NewsBlur feeds, adding new Feedbin feeds (and marking multiple items as read), and scrolling issues with the built-in browser caused by pop-up windows. ($4.99 new from the Mac App Store, free update, 3.6 MB, release notes)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 5 Aug 2013 (05 Aug 13)
- ReadKit 2.2.1 (31 Jul 13)
- TidBITS Watchlist: Notable Software Updates for 15 July 2013 (15 Jul 13)
- ReadKit for Mac Is Almost the Perfect Reading App (08 Jul 13)