Open Transport vs. QuarkXPress -- I've heard reports of two conflicts between Open Transport 1.0 (shipped only on the Power Mac 9500s) and QuarkXPress. If you have an XTension installed that receives the XT_NETRECEIVE opcode, QuarkXPress will hang on launch. I doubt there's any easy way to determine if you have such an XTension loaded other than by empirical testing. Apparently, Open Transport 1.0.1 fixes the problem. Even with Open Transport 1.0.1, if you have either the printer port or the modem port chosen as your network connection in the AppleTalk control panel, QuarkXPress will hang on launch if any XTensions that use network serial copy protection are installed. [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software