More Performas Introduced -- Last week Apple announced a series of new Performa computers, including the 5200-series and 6200-series (each based on the PowerPC 603 processor), the Performa 640CD DOS Compatible, new 630- and 6100-series machines, and the MPEG (Motion Picture Experts Group) Media System (basically an MPEG add-in board for the 630-, 5200-, and 6200-series systems that ships with a set of MPEG CD-ROM titles). The new systems range in price from about $1,600 to $3,000; the MPEG Media System is about $300. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree