Sound Manager 3.1 Hurrahs -- Last week, Apple released version 3.1 of the Sound Manager, which consists of a new Sound control panel (version 8.0.5) and a new Sound Manager extension. Along with numerous bug fixes (some of which have saved me a lot of trouble), Sound Manager 3.1 includes support for IMA 4:1 compression (often used for 16-bit, CD-quality music) and uLaw 2:1 compression (often used for voice and telephony applications, and the basis of the ".au" file format seen so often on the Web). Sound Manager 3.1 also includes more PowerPC-native code and (finally!) allows asynchronous playback of alert sounds. If you do any audio-intensive work - or just want to give your Power Mac games a little boost - it's worth a look. [GD]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software