In the New Yorker, psychologist and author Maria Konnikova examines studies showing that Facebook — and Internet use in general — makes people unhappy, along with those showing just the opposite, that Facebook use makes people happier, increasing social trust and engagement. How could this be? She teases out the fact that the research showing negative effects may have focused on passive use (scrolling through newsfeeds), whereas those evincing positive effects looked at active use (posting, “liking,” and so on). In short, engage with life online, don’t let it just wash over you. follow link
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- VMware Fusion 6.0.3 and Fusion 6.0.3 Professional
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.8
- DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.7.5
- OmniOutliner 4.0.5
- 1Password 4.3
- AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
- Paprika 2.0.3
- Security Update 2014-002 (Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion)
- Microsoft Office 2011 14.4.1
- Adobe Flash Player 22.214.171.124
Set a Default Finder Column Width
When in column view in the Finder, if you want to set the width of all the columns to something different - and have it stick! - Option-drag one of the column handles at the bottom of the window.
- ExtraBITS for 16 September 2013 (16 Sep 13)
How Facebook Makes You Unhappy. Or Not.