Rogue Amoeba has released version 2.1.4 of its Fission audio editor, adding full support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks and moving to the 64-bit frontier for future performance gains. The update replaces the QuickTime engine for opening files with Rogue’s own internal libav for handling multimedia, which may not support some “extremely rare” file formats. The saving pipeline has been revamped, which improves how the Mac App Store version saves ringtones. The new version also improves its handling of extra-large AAC and Apple Lossless files, slims down the debugging window, and makes it possible to drag an iTunes song into the Mac App Store version with a single attempt. ($32 new with a 20-percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 14.2 MB, release notes)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.