Apple has released an update for iBooks on OS X 10.9 Mavericks, with version 1.0.1 claiming the usual unspecified “bug fixes and improvements to performance and stability.” We did notice, however, that the update does not fix the category assignment bug we examined in “Managing an iBooks Metadata Mess” (6 November 2013). The update is available via Software Update. (Free, 14.7 MB)
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Managing an iBooks Metadata Mess (06 Nov 13)
Check out the Take Control ebooks that expand on the topic in this article:
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Charles Jacobs, Justin Daniels, Joel Hall, and John
Trapp for their generous support!
This wouldn't be that hard to fix. If an ebook doesn't have DRM, the app should assume it shouldn't be added to the library. For those cases when it should, offer an "Add to library" option on the File menu.