Nisus Software has released Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 and Nisus Writer Express 3.4.6, both maintenance releases offering a festival of fixes. Both editions of the word processing app squash a bug that caused a crash for those running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard after pasting table cells with an applied list style or when closing documents with some smart content, load language icons in the background to avoid a slowdown with 10.9 Mavericks, and fix an issue that caused a crash when editing an equation in the MathType equation editor. On the hyphen front, the update ensures that hyphenation patterns are properly respected (some hyphenation for non-English languages was suffering in the previous releases) and that soft hyphens successfully transfer to Microsoft Word. Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 also resolves a change-tracking issue that triggered unpredictable behavior after typing over text with a straight quote that was then automatically corrected into a smart quote — since we reported this one, we’re particularly happy to see it fixed so quickly. (Nisus Writer Pro: $79 new, free update, 179 MB, release notes. Nisus Writer Express: $45 new, free update, 50.9 MB, release notes.)
- VMware Fusion 6.0.3 and Fusion 6.0.3 Professional
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.8
- DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.7.5
- OmniOutliner 4.0.5
- 1Password 4.3
- AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
- Paprika 2.0.3
- Security Update 2014-002 (Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion)
- Microsoft Office 2011 14.4.1
- Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.199
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree