Improving support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Ergonis Software has released PopChar X 6.4 with an improved “corner P” that appears on the active screen on all monitors in a multi-monitor configuration and fixes several other display issues with Mavericks. The font discovery utility also improves its responsiveness in several areas, with the update quickening the pace of displaying the character table, improving the speed of detecting the font in the current application, reducing background activity by reloading available fonts only when necessary, and remembering the previously selected font separately for each application. (€29.99 new with a 25 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 3.7 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree