Continuing to refine its Open and Save dialog enhancement utility, St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.2 with fixes for a few bugs and compatibility issues. The update corrects a timing bug that caused intermittent failures when rebounding and switching to your default folder, fixes a bug that selected a file when an app asked to choose a folder, reduces the load on the graphics processor during the app’s window animations and transitions, and fixes a compatibility issue with FileMaker Pro 13. ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.2 MB, release notes)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Default Folder X 4.6.2
Put your company and products in front of tens of thousands of
savvy, committed Apple users who actually buy stuff.
More information: <http://tidbits.com/advertising.html>
I apologize for the goof.
- Jon Gotow (the developer of Default Folder X)