St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.3, which corrects a problem with the path pop-up menu disappearing in Save As dialogs on OS X 10.9 Mavericks. It also improves last-used-folder tracking to ensure that Pro Tools, Pages, InDesign, Microsoft Word, and other applications default to the correct folder when first opened. Other changes include a bug fix related to the “Open and Save to the same folder” option and a change to the SetSaveName AppleScript command so it works with UTF-8 encoded text. ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.2 MB, release notes)
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard