St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.3, which corrects a problem with the path pop-up menu disappearing in Save As dialogs on OS X 10.9 Mavericks. It also improves last-used-folder tracking to ensure that Pro Tools, Pages, InDesign, Microsoft Word, and other applications default to the correct folder when first opened. Other changes include a bug fix related to the “Open and Save to the same folder” option and a change to the SetSaveName AppleScript command so it works with UTF-8 encoded text. ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.2 MB, release notes)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software