RedleX has released Mellel 3.3.1, a fix-filled follow-up to the previous update that added several new features (see “Mellel 3.3,” 9 February 2014). The word processing app rejiggers the opening and closing behavior of the Find strip (a much requested fix), with Command-F now always opening or focusing on the strip and Command-J closing and scrolling to the correct spot in your document. The update also fixes several bugs associated with RTF files (from detecting bold and italics in Cocoa-based RTF files, such as from TextEdit and Scrivener, to a crash caused by pasting RTF text), puts an end to a problem with palettes being repositioned incorrectly after connecting to an external monitor while in full screen mode, and fixes an issue that caused a selection to “misbehave” and become slow and unresponsive when editing a comment while the Statistics palette was open. ($39 new from RedleX and the Mac App Store, free update, 100 MB, release notes)
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
- Mellel 3.3 (09 Feb 14)