TidBITS Managing Editor Josh Centers and Kirk McElhearn, author of “Take Control of iTunes 11: The FAQ,” joined host Gene Steinberg on The Tech Night Owl podcast. Josh discussed paranormal attorneys, what Microsoft has been up to, his first Macworld/iWorld experience, and Amazon’s new Fire TV. Kirk talked about his problems with satellite Internet, why expensive cables are a rip-off, and vinyl versus digital music. follow link
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Josh Centers Discusses Office for iPad and Fire TV on Tech Night Owl