St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.5 with a new Duplicate command, which enables you to copy a file or folder within an Open dialog. The Open and Save dialog enhancement utility also fixes a bug that would freeze OmniOutliner 4 when saving or exporting a file, as well as a problem on OS X 10.9 Mavericks with Default Folder X’s Preview and Spotlight windows. Additionally, the update adds the Command-Shift-C keyboard shortcut to go to My Computer in file dialogs, ensures that Open dialogs in NetNewsWire begin in the correct folder, accesses the Desktop using Command-Shift-D, and correctly displays the first two items in the Favorites menu when accessed from the menu bar. ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 11.1 MB, release notes, 10.6+)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.