Apple has released Logic Pro X 10.0.7, a massive update with over 330 enhancements and bug fixes. The biggest news is that the professional audio app now supports 24 simultaneous processing threads on 12-core Mac Pro models, which should provide a nice boost in performance. The release also enables you to insert current volume, pan, and send values for all selected tracks at the playhead position; improves the Drummer track’s timing if Low Latency mode is enabled; enables you to paste automation at the playhead or marquee selection area; consolidates the Snap, Alignment Guides, and Snap to Grid settings within the Snap menu; and improves import and export of XML with Final Cut Pro X. ($199.99 new in the Mac App Store, free update, 828 MB, release notes, 10.8.4+)
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree