Apple has released MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 2.0, the second system management controller update to address battery issues (see “SMC Firmware Updates for MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro Retina, and MacBook Air,” 3 October 2013). Directed at MacBook Air models released in the middle of 2013, Update 2.0 fixes a problem that caused the battery to drain more quickly than expected with the lid closed. As always with firmware updates, we recommend relying on Software Update to ensure you get the right update for your particular model. Be careful not to interrupt the update process! (Free, 804 KB, 10.8.5+)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software