Apple has released MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 2.0, the second system management controller update to address battery issues (see “SMC Firmware Updates for MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro Retina, and MacBook Air,” 3 October 2013). Directed at MacBook Air models released in the middle of 2013, Update 2.0 fixes a problem that caused the battery to drain more quickly than expected with the lid closed. As always with firmware updates, we recommend relying on Software Update to ensure you get the right update for your particular model. Be careful not to interrupt the update process! (Free, 804 KB, 10.8.5+)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.