Apple has released MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.8, which follows this week’s earlier update to the system management controller (SMC) for MacBook Air laptops (see “MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 2.0,” 10 June 2014). For MacBook Air models released in the middle of 2013 and early 2014, this firmware update improves reliability when waking from sleep and when booting while certain USB and Thunderbolt devices are connected, plus fixes a rare memory issue that could cause the system to reboot. It also addresses a complex bug that prevented the built-in display from sleeping while connected to an external display and running Windows using Boot Camp. As with other firmware updates, it’s best to rely on Software Update to ensure you get the right update for your specific model. Also be careful not to interrupt the update process! (Free, 4.8 MB, 10.8.5+)
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 2.0 (10 Jun 14)
MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.8
Check out the perks at <http://tidbits.com/member_benefits.html>
Special thanks to Mark Green, Mark R Friedman, Todd Schmidt, and
Harvey Cain for their generous support!