St. Clair Software has released Default Folder X 4.6.6, reassigning the Command-D shortcut to jump to the Desktop rather than invoke the Duplicate command. The Open and Save dialog enhancement utility now enables you to use its Rebound feature (to quickly return to recently used folders) in column view, fixes a bug that caused some apps (like Monosnap) to save files with the wrong file names, and disables audio previews by default to avoid triggering OS X to switch to the high performance graphics processor on some Macs. ($34.95 new, $10 off for TidBITS members, free update, 10.7 MB, release notes, 10.6+)
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Default Folder X 4.6.6
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and
By reverting command+D to "Desktop," I can once again use my Mac intuitively, quickly, and nicely, returning DefaultFolder X to my most indispensable utility for the Mac.