Ergonis Software has released PopChar X 6.6 with support for Unicode 7.0, which integrates 2,834 new characters (including symbols such as the Russian ruble and nearly 250 emoji symbols). The font discovery utility also improves the Scripts and Symbols layout to better match definitions in the Unicode standard, and adds a Show in Unicode Context features that enables you to discover similar characters within the Unicode table. The update also quickens the speed of displaying the character table and various unspecified housekeeping tasks, improves visibility of the PopChar icon against the dark menu background of OS X Yosemite, fixes several cosmetic issues related to Yosemite, and squashes a bug that resulted in a misplaced magnifier after scrolling operations. (€29.99 new with a 25 percent discount for TidBITS members, free update, 3.8 MB, release notes, 10.5.8+)
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.