Microsoft Licenses Lycos Catalog -- Carnegie Mellon University announced last week that it has granted Microsoft Corporation a non-exclusive, renewable licence to use its Lycos Internet Catalog with Microsoft's forthcoming online service, Microsoft Network (MSN). Carnegie Mellon will deliver regular updates of the Lycos catalog to Microsoft, who then will presumably make it available to MSN customers. The Lycos catalog operates via a robot that automatically navigates the World-Wide Web and catalogs the documents it finds, including titles and headings, significant keywords, size, and the first 20 lines of the document. To date Lycos has cataloged about three million Web documents and serves more than 175,000 search requests every week. One wonders why Microsoft - supposedly providing comprehensive Internet access via MSN - felt the need to licence a catalog freely accessible via the Internet. Maybe they want to charge for its use. [GD]
Manage Multiple ChronoSync Documents
If you have multiple ChronoSync documents and need to run your syncs or backups manually, you may find it taxing to open each ChronoSync document and execute it manually. There are two easy methods to simplify managing multiple ChronoSync documents.
- You can add the ChronoSync documents to a Container document. A Container holds multiple ChronoSync documents and enables you to control several ChronoSync documents as if they were one document.
- You can make use of the Scheduled Documents Manager window to collect and organize commonly used ChronoSync documents without scheduling them.
Both methods allow you to schedule or manually run your syncs and backups.
Visit ChronoSync Tips
Published in TidBITS 274.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Relax, It's Still A Hoax
- Apple Announces Strong Second Quarter
- Web ZIP Codes
- ProCalc is Now CalcWorks
- Welcome to the Web!
- It's All About Trust
- By leaps and bounds
- Apple EPCOT Showpieces
- Third International World-Wide Web Conference
- Shedding Skin - Thoughts on "Silicon Snake Oil"
- CompuServe as a PPP Internet Provider