A number of people wrote in to tell us about ClockAdjust and AutoClock, two other free utilities for keeping a Macintosh clock on track (see TidBITS-271). Although these utilities don't use the Internet (can you imagine!), many will find them useful. Both help you deal with Daylight Savings Time and also automatically fix deviations in the Macintosh clock. In addition, AutoClock can use a modem to dial an atomic clock and update the time. Although calling an atomic clock requires a long distance call, the call cost one reader a whopping 12 cents, so it would take a number of calls to add up to even a standard shareware fee. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Daylight Savings (03 Apr 95)