Interior Decor -- Several people chastised us for not mentioning the $10 shareware program Decor, which does much the same thing as DeskPicture (see TidBITS-268). The two sport similar feature sets, although Decor fully supports JPEG files, but can't handle multiple monitors. In addition, Decor is scriptable and Power Mac-native. We hadn't intended to cover all the utilities that decorate your desktop, but if you want to check out Decor, it's at: [ACE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- DeskPicture: Back to the Nets (20 Mar 95)