Hayden Sponsoring -- We'd like to welcome our latest sponsor, Hayden Books, the company that publishes Tonya's and my books, along with many other titles. Ever since Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh took off, Hayden has looked at getting on the Internet in a serious way, but the process was complicated by the fact that Hayden is an imprint of Macmillan Computer Publishing. Thus, the Web site that recently appeared had to take into account not just Hayden, but all of the Macmillan Computer Publishing imprints. The site has large amounts of information about the various titles including tables of contents and sample chapters from many books. You can search for specific books, subscribe to a service that alerts you to new books in certain subject areas, and even download software that's bundled with some of the books. You can buy books online if you wish, and all are discounted 20 percent. And, of course, each of the imprints has its own home page. So if you're a computer book fan, check it out. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software