MacTCP 2.0.6 is out in the form of an updater application that takes a clean copy of MacTCP 2.0.4 and converts it into MacTCP 2.0.6. I cannot emphasize "clean" sufficiently - you cannot update a copy of MacTCP 2.0.4 that has ever been opened or loaded into memory; instead, you must use a new copy from a master disk. That said, the update fixes some relatively technical bugs and offers performance enhancements primarily for SLIP and PPP dialup users. The update is definitely worthwhile, especially if you've experienced problems with 2.0.4. There's also an updater from 2.0.2 to 2.0.4 available, if all you have is a copy of 2.0.2. There are no updaters from MacTCP 1.x, though, so if that's all you have, you'll have to get a copy of MacTCP 2.0.x from the usual sources (System 7.5, many commercial Internet programs, my book, and so on). Check my Web site for instructions on updating if you have MacTCP 2.0.4 from the second edition of Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Got those MacTCP 2.0.6 Updater Blues? (12 Dec 94)