Due to various changes at Dartmouth, the URL for the World-Wide Web version of TidBITS has changed. The new URL is:
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 236.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- DropStuff and StuffIt Expander to Expire
- Newton and Windows users
- Yet another spec sheet error
- Lack of PowerPC-native Utilities
- The PowerPort/Gold
- Jon Pugh
- FullWrite List
- FullWrite Upgrade
- GlobalFax for Power Macs
- New Display, New Keyboard
- More Mobile Macs
- Transition to PowerPC: RAM Doubler 1.5