Pythaeus writes to tell us that although Apple has developed a new 68040 emulator for the Power Macintosh that reportedly runs twice as fast as the emulator, the new emulator cannot run on existing Power Macs due to ROM incompatibilities. The problem apparently lies with having too many 68040 cache-flushing calls in the current Power Mac ROMs, and those calls destroy the performance increase of the new emulator. These calls will be fixed in future Power Mac ROMs, but the new emulator code won't work on current Power Macs. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Quick Look Shortcut in Expose on Snow Leopard
In Expose mode in Snow Leopard, hover your mouse pointer over a window and press the Space bar to view a larger Quick Look version of that window.
Published in TidBITS 236.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- New TidBITS Web URL
- DropStuff and StuffIt Expander to Expire
- Newton and Windows users
- Yet another spec sheet error
- Lack of PowerPC-native Utilities
- The PowerPort/Gold
- Jon Pugh
- FullWrite List
- FullWrite Upgrade
- GlobalFax for Power Macs
- New Display, New Keyboard
- More Mobile Macs
- Transition to PowerPC: RAM Doubler 1.5