FullWrite Upgrade -- The FullWrite list hasn't had much traffic lately, but news about the upcoming version came through the list a few days ago. FullWrite 2.0 sounds promising, with features such as tables, two-page editing, indexing, table of contents, text wrap around graphics, watermarks, drag & drop, and a glossary that stores chunks of pre-typed text. The glossary in FullWrite can also function much like AutoCorrect, a heavily marketed Word for Windows 6.0 feature that may show up in Macintosh Word 6.0. For example, FullWrite can automatically correct common misspellings, such as "recieve." When FullWrite 1.0 shipped, one of its main problems was that it wanted more RAM than most people had. What with lowered memory costs and RAM Doubler, FullWrite 2.0's 2 MB RAM requirement should not be a major problem. (According to the list, a recent MacWEEK article incorrectly reported a 700K requirement.) Although Akimbo Systems has a Power Mac native version in the works, for now FullWrite 2.0 runs on 68K Macs or in emulation mode on Power Macs. Akimbo plans to ship FullWrite in early August and demo the program at Boston Macworld. [TJE]
Disinfect Your Keyboard
Keyboards, particularly those shared by multiple people, harbor huge quantities of bacteria. If you want to reduce the chances of picking up your co-worker's cold, you can disinfect your keyboard with disinfecting wipes. To avoid damage to the keyboard, be sure to:
- Unplug the keyboard before disinfecting it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquids from the cloth to avoid liquid dripping into the keyboard.
- Don't let any liquid from the wipe sit for long periods of time on the keyboard.
- Don't scrub the keyboard, just lightly wipe down. Rubbing too hard leaves behind more lint.
- Avoid cleansing cloths that contain bleach.
Visit Das Keyboard
Published in TidBITS 236.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- New TidBITS Web URL
- DropStuff and StuffIt Expander to Expire
- Newton and Windows users
- Yet another spec sheet error
- Lack of PowerPC-native Utilities
- The PowerPort/Gold
- Jon Pugh
- FullWrite List
- GlobalFax for Power Macs
- New Display, New Keyboard
- More Mobile Macs
- Transition to PowerPC: RAM Doubler 1.5