Straight from the RumorMill -- Fans of Peter Lewis and Stairways Software will be pleased to note the release of RumorMill 1.0, a $35 shareware Usenet news server for the Mac. Although RumorMill isn't intended to handle a full Usenet news feed (currently about 1 GB per day, and rising), it's a simple, inexpensive solution for hosting local newsgroups and giving local users snappy access to a partial news feed - even if the server is using a dial-up connection! RumorMill supports multiple upstream and downstream sites, access restriction by IP number, and remote administration via a separate setup application. RumorMill also supports NewsWatcher preferences and standard newsrc files, and has several advanced features that can be configured via telnet. For the price, RumorMill is hard to beat for local discussion groups, and it only wants 2 MB of RAM. [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.