Pythaeus notes that as of the following dates both the StyleWriter (06-Jan-93) and the 13" Hi-Res RGB (14-Dec-92) will be discontinued and removed from price lists. I gather the StyleWriter has been in short supply in many places for quite some time in preparation for the release of the StyleWriter II, which will be faster, weirdly shaped in a different way, and capable of being shared among Macs on an AppleTalk network (shades of ShadowWriter, see above) by a program called GrayShare. So if you've been waiting for a StyleWriter, make sure you get your order changed to a StyleWriter II. The 13" monitors may be in slightly better supply, and if dealers are trying to get rid of them in favor of the new 14" monitors (same picture size, but a truly beautiful monitor) you may be able to find a lower price for the remaining 13" units.
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 157.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Easy View response time
- DAT Note
- ATM Patch
- LaserWriter IIf/IIg ROM Upgrade
- ShadowWriter networks 'em all
- A/UX Follies
- Compatibility Checker 2.0
- PhoneNet Talk Upgrade
- Newton Notes
- Lotus Upgrade
- Apple & AOL
- AutoDoubler 2.0
- FirstClass Deal
- Copying Utilities
- Nisus XS Rumors
- WriteNow Bugs
- Apple Multimedia Program
- User Group 7.1 Pricing