(37) In System 6 you could save a PostScript text file by pressing option-f or option-k right after printing. This is built into the 7.0 LaserWriter driver as a radio button option. In System 6 you had to press option-k to get the Laser Prep header - using the System 7 LaserWriter driver the LaserPrep is always included, which can create inconveniently large files. You can make them much smaller by not printing any TrueType fonts. Also check out the utilities PS-Trimmer and Strip Fonts at your favorite shareware fishing hole.
(38) To turn off the startup page on a PostScript laser printer, look in the Utilities menu of the LaserWriter Font Utility 7.0 (located on the More Tidbits disk if you have the 800K disk set and on the Tidbits disk if you have the 1.4 MB disk set).
(39) Under System 6 command-shift-4 dumped the screen to an ImageWriter. This does not work in System 7 and cutting and pasting the FKEY resource does not work either. Instead use the shareware utility Flash-It or some other screen capture utility. Alternately use command-shift-3 to save a PICT of the screen and then print from TeachText (the System 7 version can open PICT files).
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
your PDFs, fill and sign forms, and even export PDFs to Word format.
Signing is now easier, you can view the OCR text layer, and more.
Try editing your PDFs today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen-7-tb>