New PowerBook Comments -- In regard to the upcoming release of new PowerBooks mentioned in TidBITS #222, Dave Hirsh <firstname.lastname@example.org> warns: "The 9.5" color active matrix screens that the 540 will use are probably going to suffer the same supply problems that IBM has with the ThinkPad 750Cs. The yields on 9.5" versus the current 8.5" displays are much lower. This keeps supplies tight and prices high." In addition, a few people pointed out since the new 68LC040 PowerBooks don't have floating point units, and since it appears that Apple plans to eliminates the 68030 PowerBooks that have floating point units, the immediate future looks bare for people who want a new PowerBook and need an FPU. [TJE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software