Floppy Concerns -- There has been concern that people would have trouble replacing the floppy drive in an old SE/30 or Plus, since those machines cannot physically accept the new manual inject drives. This came up because an Apple rep speaking at a seminar for Apple support coordinators in higher education said all Macs sent in for floppy repairs would receive a new manual inject drive. Luckily, we have confirmed (from a contact within Apple) that Apple has several companies repairing the old SuperDrives and the even-older 800K drives. So, if your SE's drive goes, you can replace it with a comparable drive. It might be nice to get a fancy new floppy, but it would be pointless since you couldn't insert disks into it. Of course, whether or not it's worth it to replace the floppy drive is another story entirely, given the price of Macs like the Quadra 605.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software