Mailing List Managers Updated -- The two major commercial mailing list manager programs, StarNine's ListSTAR and FogCity's LetterRip, have both been updated recently. New features in ListSTAR 1.2 provide improved templates for setting up new email services and internal changes that improve performance by reducing the number of DNS lookups when sending mail on machines using Open Transport. The ListSTAR update is a 3.3 MB download for either the POP or SMTP versions of ListSTAR. FogCity's LetterRip 2.0.1 is a maintenance release with a few welcome feature additions, including the capability to disable list headers for a list and support for Maxum's PageSentry server monitoring software. LetterRip 2.0.1 is a 2.7 MB download. [ACE]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree