AppleShare Via IP for the Rest of Us -- Open Door Networks shipped ShareWay IP Gateway, a program that enables an AppleShare-compatible server to provide file sharing over the Internet. Instead of using FTP, people using the AppleShare Client Chooser extension 3.7 or later (included with Mac OS 8) can mount remote AppleShare servers over the Internet just as though the server were on a local AppleTalk network. The beauty of ShareWay IP is that it provides one of the most attractive features of Apple's expensive AppleShare IP 5.0 for far less money. ShareWay IP comes in two versions, the $189 Standard Edition ($119 educational) and the $59 Personal Edition ($49 educational). The Standard Edition can run on any Mac on the same AppleTalk network as the server and works with most AppleShare servers. The Personal Edition supports only Personal File Sharing on the same Mac as ShareWay IP. Both require System 7.5.3 or later and Open Transport 1.1.2 or later. Introductory pricing is good until 30-Nov-97 and free evaluation versions are available on Open Door's Web site. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
- Share and Share IP Alike (29 Jun 98)