Claris Reports Record Quarter -- Despite Apple's recently reported quarterly loss, other financial news relating to Apple is cheerful. Claris, a wholly owned software subsidiary of Apple, last week reported record gains for its fourth quarter and its fiscal year. Revenue for the quarter was $91.1 million and revenue for the year was $281.7 million. Claris has a policy of not revealing specific profits but noted that it has been profitable for the last 20 quarters and that the last quarter and year represented "record profits." Claris's sales have been boosted by the terrific popularity of Mac OS 8, which took second place (to the Windows 95 upgrade) on PC Data's best-sellers chart for August. The Mac OS 8 upgrade took 11th place. [TJE]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 402.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Stock Rises as Tech Stocks Tank
- Apple Announces New MessagePad
- New Version of Quicken Released
- FileMaker Pro 4.0
- Speed Doubler 8
- Dutch Mailing List Available
- Sour Greps
- I Sought the Serif
- Subscribe Your Browser to TidBITS
- Moving on to a New Challenge
- HTMLbits: Taking New Software Out for a Spin
- Betting the Orchard