Speed Doubler 8 -- Connectix has shipped Speed Doubler 8, which adds Mac OS 8 compatibility and a few new features. Speed Doubler's goal is to enhance performance (see the full review of Speed Doubler 1.0 in TidBITS-292), and Speed Doubler 8 speeds up local and network file copies, disk caching, and (on PowerPC systems only) includes a dynamic recompilation 68K emulator that can be almost twice as fast as Apple's - handy when using 68K programs and system components, like AppleScript and the still widely used Microsoft Word 5.1. Speed Doubler 8 can now schedule file copies and folder synchronizations, plus navigate menus of many applications without a mouse, and assign hot keys to common tasks, such as opening a file or typing a block of text. Speed Doubler 8 requires System 7.5.5 or later (some features require Mac OS 8), and a 68030 processor or better. Speed Doubler 8 costs about $50 ($25 rebate coupons are included for current owners). [GD]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
Create TextExpander Snippets on the Fly
Make new snippets really quickly! First, set a hotkey combination for making new snippets:
- Go to TextExpander > Preferences > Hotkeys.
- Click the "Click to Set Hotkey" button next to "Create Snippet from Clipboard."
- Press a hotkey combination when prompted.
Once you have your hotkey, use it to make snippets with these steps:
- Copy desired snippet text to the clipboard.
- Press your hotkey combination. A window opens with your snippet's content filled in.
- Add an abbreviation to your snippet.
- Click Done.
Published in TidBITS 402.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Stock Rises as Tech Stocks Tank
- Claris Reports Record Quarter
- Apple Announces New MessagePad
- New Version of Quicken Released
- FileMaker Pro 4.0
- Dutch Mailing List Available
- Sour Greps
- I Sought the Serif
- Subscribe Your Browser to TidBITS
- Moving on to a New Challenge
- HTMLbits: Taking New Software Out for a Spin
- Betting the Orchard