Speed Doubler 8 -- Connectix has shipped Speed Doubler 8, which adds Mac OS 8 compatibility and a few new features. Speed Doubler's goal is to enhance performance (see the full review of Speed Doubler 1.0 in TidBITS-292), and Speed Doubler 8 speeds up local and network file copies, disk caching, and (on PowerPC systems only) includes a dynamic recompilation 68K emulator that can be almost twice as fast as Apple's - handy when using 68K programs and system components, like AppleScript and the still widely used Microsoft Word 5.1. Speed Doubler 8 can now schedule file copies and folder synchronizations, plus navigate menus of many applications without a mouse, and assign hot keys to common tasks, such as opening a file or typing a block of text. Speed Doubler 8 requires System 7.5.5 or later (some features require Mac OS 8), and a 68030 processor or better. Speed Doubler 8 costs about $50 ($25 rebate coupons are included for current owners). [GD]
Fill in Gaps in Pear Note
If you ever find yourself zoning out during a meeting or class, only later to realize that you forgot to take notes for 20 minutes, Pear Note makes it easy to fill in those gaps. To do so:
- Open your Pear Note document.
- Hit play.
- Click on the last text you did type to jump to that point in the recording.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
- Take notes on the part you missed.
Your new notes will be synced to the recording just as if you'd taken them live with the rest of your notes.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 402.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Stock Rises as Tech Stocks Tank
- Claris Reports Record Quarter
- Apple Announces New MessagePad
- New Version of Quicken Released
- FileMaker Pro 4.0
- Dutch Mailing List Available
- Sour Greps
- I Sought the Serif
- Subscribe Your Browser to TidBITS
- Moving on to a New Challenge
- HTMLbits: Taking New Software Out for a Spin
- Betting the Orchard