I Sought the Serif -- In my Font Reserve review in TidBITS-400, I lamented its lack of a printing feature. A splendid shareware utility supplies it: even if your fonts aren't loaded into the system, Font Gander Pro can show you what they look like and can print a highly customizable "font book." The $20 shareware Font Gander Pro is available as a 386K download. [MAN]
Option-Click AirPort Menu for Network Details
If you hold down the Option key while clicking the AirPort menu in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, you'll see not just the names of nearby Wi-Fi networks, but additional details about the selected network. Details include the MAC address of the network, the channel used by the base station, the signal strength (a negative number; the closer to zero it is, the stronger the signal), and the transmit rate in megabits per second showing actual network throughput. If you hover the cursor over the name of a network to which you're not connected, a little yellow pop-up shows the signal strength and type of encryption.
- The Final Font Frontier (06 Oct 97)
Published in TidBITS 402.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Apple Stock Rises as Tech Stocks Tank
- Claris Reports Record Quarter
- Apple Announces New MessagePad
- New Version of Quicken Released
- FileMaker Pro 4.0
- Speed Doubler 8
- Dutch Mailing List Available
- Sour Greps
- Subscribe Your Browser to TidBITS
- Moving on to a New Challenge
- HTMLbits: Taking New Software Out for a Spin
- Betting the Orchard