QuarkXPress 4.0 Released -- More than two years after the last release of QuarkXPress, Quark is shipping version 4.0 of the popular desktop publishing application. QuarkXPress 4.0 incorporates new features such as support for character-level style sheets, the ability to create objects with bezier curves on a point-by-point basis, and options for controlling clipping paths in images. In addition to a U.S. English version, Quark has also released QuarkXPress Passport 4.0, which incorporates Danish, Dutch, French, German, International English, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, and Swiss-German into one product. The U.S. English version costs $995, with a variety of pricing options for upgrading, depending on which version you currently own; the Passport version has a suggested retail of $1,595. A 16 MB demo is also available via FTP download. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software