Connectix Updates Speed Doubler -- Connectix has posted an English updater for Speed Doubler that takes the recently released Speed Doubler 8.0 to 8.0.1A (see our MailBIT in TidBITS-402 for more Speed Doubler 8 information). If you downloaded but haven't used the 8.0.1 updater posted early last week, make sure you grab the most recent file, which corrects a problem with the updater itself. If you used the previous updater successfully, don't bother downloading 8.0.1A. The update to 8.0.1A fixes a number of bugs and a conflict with the StuffIt Browser in Aladdin's StuffIt Deluxe 4.5. Those upgrading to 8.0.1 should note that the Speed Doubler Updates page offers updaters for both Speed Doubler and Speed Copy. [JLC]
Avoid Naming Pear Note Files
If you create a lot of documents, coming up with a name for them can sometimes be a hassle. This is especially true now that search is becoming a more prevalent way to find documents. Pear Note provides a way to have the application automatically generate a filename so you can avoid this hassle. To use this:
- Open Saving under Pear Note's preferences.
- Select a default save location.
- Select a default save name template (Pear Note's help documents all the fields that can be automatically filled in).
- Check the box stating that Command-S saves without prompting.
- If you decide you want to name a particular note later, just use Save As... instead.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- Speed Doubler 8 (27 Oct 97)