Macworld Expo This Week -- Various members of the TidBITS staff will be at Macworld Expo in San Francisco this week, so email replies may be delayed. We'll try to post updates about the most exciting things we see during the week, and in the next TidBITS issue we'll cover what was really important at the show. If you plan to attend or just want a sense of how the show has been in previous years, check out Jeff Carlson's "Impressions of a Macworld Newbie" in TidBITS-362 from Macworld San Francisco last year, and Tonya's "Macworld Expo: Planning for a Shopping Frenzy" in TidBITS-391 from the last Macworld Boston. Of course, searching for "Macworld Expo" in our search engine will also reveal lots of old show news. [ACE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 411.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Microsoft Sponsoring TidBITS
- NewsHopper Becomes Defunct
- Conflict Catcher Boosted to 4.1
- MRJ 2.0 Released
- Connectix Readies VPC Update, Surf Express
- Apple Store Provides Feedback
- Apple Store Contributing More Profit (Correction)
- Macworld Expo Events
- Plug into Macworld
- PalmPilot, Part 1: Hopelessly Devoted