NewsHopper Becomes Defunct -- Laurent Humbert, developer of the offline newsreader NewsHopper, wrote last week to tell us the sad news that NewsHopper is no longer an available product (nor is it becoming shareware or freeware) because of his ongoing health problems. Laurent asks that anyone who has the existing demo version of NewsHopper on an archive site remove it, along with links to the NewsHopper Web page. Existing users can send tech support queries to Laurent at <firstname.lastname@example.org>, and the updater to the current 1.3b version remains available. Laurent recommends that people interested in an offline newsreader for the Mac check out Stefan Haller's MacSOUP 2.3, which can also read email or interface with Eudora or Emailer, if you prefer. We wish Laurent the best. [ACE]
Type Faster by Competing in Races
A fun way to improve your typing speed and accuracy is to join an online typing competition at typrX. This typing competition keeps track of your typing speed, while allowing you to compete against other people, either around the world in public races or with friends in private races. To set up a private race with your friends, follow these simple steps.
- Once you have a typrX account, click the Create Private Race button on the front page and you’ll be taken to the private race page.
- From there, copy the track code URL and send it to the friends you want to join the race.
- You can click the Delay Countdown button to add 10 seconds to the clock if you are waiting on your friend to join the race.
Published in TidBITS 411.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Macworld Expo This Week
- Microsoft Sponsoring TidBITS
- Conflict Catcher Boosted to 4.1
- MRJ 2.0 Released
- Connectix Readies VPC Update, Surf Express
- Apple Store Provides Feedback
- Apple Store Contributing More Profit (Correction)
- Macworld Expo Events
- Plug into Macworld
- PalmPilot, Part 1: Hopelessly Devoted