MRJ 2.0 Released -- Apple has released the free Mac OS Runtime for Java 2.0 (MRJ) for users of Mac OS 8. MRJ enables your Macintosh to run applications written in the Java programming language from Sun Microsystems. MRJ 2.0 implements Sun's Java Development Kit (JDK) 1.1.3 and supports all the features of the JDK 1.1 specification, including Java Beans, Java Database Connectivity, Remote Method Invocation, Java Native Interface, and more. MRJ 2.0 also includes PowerPC and 68040 just-in-time compilers for significant performance improvements. Apple claims that MRJ 2.0 has passed every test in Sun's Java Compliancy Kit. MRJ 2.0 currently does not support versions of the system software prior to Mac OS 8, although you can install it under Mac OS 7.6.1 using the Custom Install option. Apple plans to provide official support for Mac OS 7.6.1 in early 1998. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- 1Password 6.0.2
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard
Published in TidBITS 411.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Macworld Expo This Week
- Microsoft Sponsoring TidBITS
- NewsHopper Becomes Defunct
- Conflict Catcher Boosted to 4.1
- Connectix Readies VPC Update, Surf Express
- Apple Store Provides Feedback
- Apple Store Contributing More Profit (Correction)
- Macworld Expo Events
- Plug into Macworld
- PalmPilot, Part 1: Hopelessly Devoted