Claris to Restructure as FileMaker, Inc. -- In a surprise move last week, Apple Computer announced that its Claris subsidiary will restructure to focus entirely on FileMaker Pro, Claris's best-selling database for Macintosh and Windows. According to Claris, FileMaker is the most popular database on the Macintosh and the second most popular stand-alone database for Windows, accounting for $73 million in sales in 1997. The restructuring includes changing the company name to FileMaker, Inc., "divesting" of products other than the FileMaker Pro line and Home Page, and laying off approximately 300 employees. As of 01-Feb-98, Apple will distribute all Apple-branded software, including Mac OS 8, and will continue to develop, distribute, and support ClarisWorks. A letter from Claris President Dominique Goupil also notes that Claris Emailer, ClarisDraw, ClarisImpact, and Claris Organizer will move to Apple. A Question & Answer page on the Claris site contains more information. [ACE]
Thoughtful, detailed coverage of the Mac, iPhone, and iPad, plus the best-selling Take Control ebooks.
- Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.7
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2.3, Motion 5.2.3, Compressor 4.2.2
- Banktivity 5.6.5 (formerly iBank)
- DEVONthink/DEVONnote 2.8.9
- Tweetbot 2.3.3
- Little Snitch 3.6.3
- Printer Drivers for Gestetner, Lanier, NRG, Savin, and Xerox Printers
- Lightroom CC 2015.4 and Lightroom 6.4
- Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard
- BBEdit 11.5
Published in TidBITS 415.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- English Eudora Pro 4.0 to Be Available Overseas
- Frontier 5.0 Ships
- HFS Plus Utilities Available for Online Purchase
- APS Files Chapter 11, Expects to Emerge Soon
- KeyQuencer Upgraded to 2.5
- Conflict Catcher Updated
- Immortalize Yourself in the Macintosh Bible
- OT 1.3 & Single-Link Multihoming
- Quark Security Zaps Legit Users
- Macworld Geek Party Guide