Claris to Restructure as FileMaker, Inc. -- In a surprise move last week, Apple Computer announced that its Claris subsidiary will restructure to focus entirely on FileMaker Pro, Claris's best-selling database for Macintosh and Windows. According to Claris, FileMaker is the most popular database on the Macintosh and the second most popular stand-alone database for Windows, accounting for $73 million in sales in 1997. The restructuring includes changing the company name to FileMaker, Inc., "divesting" of products other than the FileMaker Pro line and Home Page, and laying off approximately 300 employees. As of 01-Feb-98, Apple will distribute all Apple-branded software, including Mac OS 8, and will continue to develop, distribute, and support ClarisWorks. A letter from Claris President Dominique Goupil also notes that Claris Emailer, ClarisDraw, ClarisImpact, and Claris Organizer will move to Apple. A Question & Answer page on the Claris site contains more information. [ACE]
- LaunchBar 6.3
- Final Cut Pro X 10.2, Compressor 4.2, Motion 5.2
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update 1.0
- DEVONagent Lite, Express, and Pro 3.9.1
- FileMaker Pro 13.0.9
- iTunes 12.1.2
- GraphicConverter 9.6.1
- 1Password 5.3
- Security Update 2015-004 (Mountain Lion, Mavericks)
- Safari 8.0.5, 7.1.5, and 6.2.5
Adding Links in Snow Leopard's Mail
Apple Mail in Snow Leopard now has a Command-key shortcut for adding a link to an email.
If you use plain-text email, this will not be helpful at all, but if you send styled email, it's a nice shortcut for adding URLs to your email messages. Simply select the word(s) you want to make into a link, press Command-K, and enter the URL to build into the link.
Published in TidBITS 415.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- English Eudora Pro 4.0 to Be Available Overseas
- Frontier 5.0 Ships
- HFS Plus Utilities Available for Online Purchase
- APS Files Chapter 11, Expects to Emerge Soon
- KeyQuencer Upgraded to 2.5
- Conflict Catcher Updated
- Immortalize Yourself in the Macintosh Bible
- OT 1.3 & Single-Link Multihoming
- Quark Security Zaps Legit Users
- Macworld Geek Party Guide