HFS Plus Utilities Available for Online Purchase -- Alsoft announced last week that its two utilities - PlusMaker and PlusMaximizer - for converting hard disks to Apple's new Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus) are available for purchase and download at its Web site. With the release of Mac OS 8.1, users may use the new Extended Format, which saves disk space by increasing the number of allocation blocks on the disk. (See "All About Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus)" in TidBITS-414.) One catch, however, is that you must backup and initialize your disks with the new Extended Format, then restore the data - a time-consuming operation, especially for system administrators managing numerous Macs. PlusMaker (an 875K download) enables you to perform the conversion without reformatting; PlusMaximizer (a 265K download) gives you the option of using 512-byte allocation blocks instead of Apple's default size. Each utility costs $29.95, or you can purchase both as a 1.1 MB download for $39.95. [JLC]
Fill in Gaps in Pear Note
If you ever find yourself zoning out during a meeting or class, only later to realize that you forgot to take notes for 20 minutes, Pear Note makes it easy to fill in those gaps. To do so:
- Open your Pear Note document.
- Hit play.
- Click on the last text you did type to jump to that point in the recording.
- Click the lock to unlock the text of the note.
- Take notes on the part you missed.
Your new notes will be synced to the recording just as if you'd taken them live with the rest of your notes.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
- All About Macintosh Extended Format (HFS Plus) (26 Jan 98)
Published in TidBITS 415.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
- Claris to Restructure as FileMaker, Inc.
- English Eudora Pro 4.0 to Be Available Overseas
- Frontier 5.0 Ships
- APS Files Chapter 11, Expects to Emerge Soon
- KeyQuencer Upgraded to 2.5
- Conflict Catcher Updated
- Immortalize Yourself in the Macintosh Bible
- OT 1.3 & Single-Link Multihoming
- Quark Security Zaps Legit Users
- Macworld Geek Party Guide