La Cie to Purchase APS -- La Cie Ltd. has signed a deal to purchase storage vendor and long-time TidBITS sponsor APS Technologies. Last January, APS filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following Apple's decision to stop licensing the Mac OS and the dissolution of hard drive manufacturer Micropolis (see "APS Files Chapter 11, Expects to Emerge Soon" in TidBITS-415). According to APS Vice President Paul McGraw - who will be staying with the new company - APS will remain a distinct brand with its own sales channels, and APS will continue to offer the same support and service they always have. Although neither company discussed the purchase price, estimates place sales for the combined company over $100 million this year, which would make it a giant among vendors of after-market storage and peripherals. Pending the approval of bankruptcy court, the purchase is expected to be finalized within a month. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
- APS Files Chapter 11, Expects to Emerge Soon (02 Feb 98)