Robin Williams Writes Another One -- When Macintosh users hear about Robin Williams, chances are good that they think of the author, not the comedian. Over the years, Robin has written many successful books about the Macintosh and design. I recently had a chance to preview her latest book, a follow-up to her long-standing The Macintosh Is Not a Typewriter. In the new book, titled The Macintosh Is Not a Toaster, Robin teams up with humor writer Dave Barry to examine the Mac's utility as a toaster and concludes that although you can stick bread in a floppy drive, the toasting action is less than ideal. Testing with Twinkies, pop-tarts, and other foodstuffs yielded equally poor results, even when using CD-ROM and cartridge drives. A chapter at the end of the lavishly illustrated book suggests other uses for Macintoshes, such as database work, desktop publishing, image rendering, and software development. The book costs $41.98 and should be available from Peachpit Press, your local bookstore, or your favorite Internet bookseller shortly. [TJE]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 423.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
Robin Williams Writes Another One
with our easy-to-use small ScanSnap Scanner line. Eliminate
paper piles by scanning documents, business cards, and receipts.
Visit us at: <http://www.ez.com/sstb>