Apple Releases HyperCard 2.4 -- After a two year lull, Apple has released an incremental upgrade to HyperCard, its venerable authoring and scripting tool. HyperCard 2.4 adds extensive support for QuickTime 3.0 (including real-time scripting of QuickTime effects and playback), support for QuickTime VR scenes, and the capability to script connections to URLs via Internet Config. HyperCard 2.4 also has bug fixes and interface tweaks such as handler pop-ups in the script editor and floating windows that display correctly under Mac OS 8. Owners of HyperCard 2.3.5 can download a free updater (a 5.7 MB download); otherwise HyperCard 2.4 costs $99 through the Apple Store. Although this isn't the long-presaged HyperCard 3.0, rebuilt entirely on top of the QuickTime 3.0 architecture, the HyperCard team felt it was important to show motion and reward HyperCard's long-time supporters for their patience. [GD]
Extract Directly from Time Machine
Normally you use Time Machine to restore lost data in a file like this: within the Time Machine interface, you go back to the time the file was not yet messed up, and you restore it to replace the file you have now.
You can also elect to keep both, but the restored file takes the name and place of the current one. So, if you have made changes since the backup took place that you would like to keep, they are lost, or you have to mess around a bit to merge changes, rename files, and trash the unwanted one.
As an alternative, you can browse the Time Machine backup volume directly in the Finder like any normal disk, navigate through the chronological backup hierarchy, and find the file which contains the lost content.
Once you've found it, you can open it and the current version of the file side-by-side, and copy information from Time Machine's version of the file into the current one, without losing any content you put in it since the backup was made.
Other articles in the series HyperCard
- The Business Case for HyperCard (09 Nov 98)
- Alas, HyperCard! (02 Nov 98)
- HyperCard 2.4.1 Update (27 Jul 98)
- HyperCard 2.3.5 Stack Update (12 Feb 96)
- New Virus Targets HyperCard Stacks (31 Jul 95)
- HyperCard 2.2: The Great Becomes Greater (14 Feb 94)
- HyperCard Folded Back Into Apple (01 Feb 93)
- HyperCard Player Bundled with Macs (21 Sep 92)
- HyperCard Confabulation (10 Feb 92)
- New HyperCard Virus (22 Apr 91)
- HyperCard Confusion (26 Nov 90)
- HyperCard Bits & Pieces (05 Nov 90)
- Claris HyperCard 2.0 (17 Sep 90)
- HyperCard 2.0 Excuses (10 Sep 90)
- HyperCard 2.0, Finally (25 Jun 90)