HP Inkjets to be Mac Compatible -- Now that Apple's StyleWriters are history, Apple and Hewlett-Packard (HP) announced last week that future inkjet printers from HP will be compatible with the Mac OS, and that Apple will resell some HP inkjet printers directly to customers in education, presumably so schools can order machines and printers with a single purchase order. Printers with the HP brand should also be available to customers through direct channels like the Apple Store later this year. Mac OS drivers for the HP printers will apparently not be engineered by Apple or HP, which is both good and bad news since Apple's StyleWriter drivers tended to be good, but HP's Mac OS printer drivers were often a mixed bag. Instead, Mac OS drivers for HP printers will come from Infowave - makers of products like PowerPrint, which lets Macs use a wide array of PC printers, and StyleScript, a PostScript interpreter for inkjets - and may include support for Apple's ColorSync color matching technology. [GD]
Extend Mac OS X's Screenshots
Mac OS X has a variety of built in screenshot methods. Here's a look at a few that offer more versatility than the basic full-screen capture (Command-Shift-3):
• Press Command-Shift-4 and you'll get a crosshair cursor with which you can drag to select and capture a certain area of the screen.
• Press Command-Shift-4-Space to select the entire window that the cursor is over, clicking on the window will then capture it. The resulting screenshot will even get a nice drop shadow.
• Hold down the Space bar after dragging out a selection window to move your selection rectangle around on the screen.
• Hold down Shift after dragging out a selection to constrain the selection in either horizontal or vertical orientation, depending on the direction of your drag.
• Hold down Option after dragging out a selection to expand the selection window around a center point.
Visit plucky tree
Published in TidBITS 428.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
HP Inkjets to be Mac Compatible
Experience pro-level features like iCloud Drive, palm protection,
a new easy-to-use iOS 8 interface and more! Get full-featured PDF
editing power in a mobile app today! <http://smle.us/pdfpen2-ios-tb>