HP Inkjets to be Mac Compatible -- Now that Apple's StyleWriters are history, Apple and Hewlett-Packard (HP) announced last week that future inkjet printers from HP will be compatible with the Mac OS, and that Apple will resell some HP inkjet printers directly to customers in education, presumably so schools can order machines and printers with a single purchase order. Printers with the HP brand should also be available to customers through direct channels like the Apple Store later this year. Mac OS drivers for the HP printers will apparently not be engineered by Apple or HP, which is both good and bad news since Apple's StyleWriter drivers tended to be good, but HP's Mac OS printer drivers were often a mixed bag. Instead, Mac OS drivers for HP printers will come from Infowave - makers of products like PowerPrint, which lets Macs use a wide array of PC printers, and StyleScript, a PostScript interpreter for inkjets - and may include support for Apple's ColorSync color matching technology. [GD]
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Published in TidBITS 428.
Subscribe to our weekly email edition.
HP Inkjets to be Mac Compatible
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and