In TidBITS 429, the excitement of new PowerBooks and a forthcoming PalmPilot MacPac caused Managing Editor Jeff Carlson's personal wires to suffer a temporary short. It had been reported by many sources that the low-end processor for the PowerBook G3 series is a PowerPC 740 (See "Apple Hardware Strategy: Alluring PowerBooks and iMac"). In fact, Apple's Developer Note released on Monday confirms that all of the PowerBook models are running on the PowerPC 750 chip; the 233 MHz version's main difference is that it lacks a backside cache. As for the PalmPilot gaffe (see "Claris Organizer Reincarnated as PalmPilot MacPac"), several readers pointed out that the adapter offered in the MacPac enables you to connect to a Macintosh's serial port, not the ADB port.
Record Online Meetings in Pear Note
While Pear Note is primarily geared toward recording notes in the physical world, it's possible to use it to record things in the virtual world as well. For instance, you can use it to record and take notes on Skype calls. To do this:
- Download Soundflower and install it (along with the Soundflowerbed app that comes with it).
- Download LineIn and install it.
- Start Soundflowerbed, and select Built-in Output (or whatever output you'd like to listen to the conversation on).
- Start LineIn, and select your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the input and Soundflower (2ch) as the output, then press Pass Thru.
- Open Pear Note Preferences, select Recording, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio device.
- Open Skype Preferences, select Audio, and select Soundflower (2ch) as the audio output and your microphone (e.g. Built-in Mic) as the audio input.
- Hit record in Pear Note and make your Skype call.
This will allow you to conduct your Skype call while Pear Note records both your audio and the other participant's.
Visit Useful Fruit Software
Crossed Chips and Cables
Set up short abbreviations which expand to larger bits of text,
such as “Tx” for “TextExpander”. With the new custom keyboard,
you can expand abbreviations in any app, including Safari and